Instagram has just introduced a new great feature in stories. Now you can insert two option polls to your stories in just a few touches. This means that you can now be more active with your Instafriends, followers, or audience.
How does it work?
Simply go into your Instagram story screen. Take a new photo or add a recent photo (within the last 24 hours) that you want to post. *keep in mind, that I’m using Instagram in Danish language setup and therefore this can vary from other languages. Furthermore, this is done on an IPhone and the android version can have some minor variations from this.
Here I am using a photo which is spilt into BW (black & white) and colours. The question is which style do people prefer. Now there’s a feature, that when you swipe up on the screen, you are able to add location, stickers, hashtag, etc. Then the next screen will appear, here you can ask a question (or what you prefer), and underneath you can give two options for people to interact with. These two buttons are for your Instafriends, so they can tap it to show their opinion. After filling everything out, you are ready to post your story.
The new feature gives stats on which option is tapped the most. Your Instafriends can’t see the result until they have also tapped the button. But for you as a creator of the story, you can see more stats than just the percentage.
You may already know that it is possible to see who has seen your story by swiping up. It’s basically the same thing. But it has a slightly different look.
On the first screen print below, you can see that at the current time colours were leading by 70 percent. But when you now swipe up to see who has seen your story. It’s now possible to see the outcome of the votes; who has voted, plus what they have voted on. You can of course still see how many actually have seen your story and whom.
On the 2nd screen print here, you can see that 36 people voted for BW and 64 people voted for Colours.
this includes everyone from the voting section as well.) “Seere” means viewers in Danish.
Why use it?
It is a great tool to interact with your Instafriends, whether you’re using for fun or for more serious matters. In other words, for either private or commercial use. This feature gives many possibilities in a simple way. I know that you are setting the frame for the poll or research itself. But you still get a minor insight into your Instafriends’ thoughts. Which in some way indicates that you are showing interest in them. So use the collected data to generate some kind of value for your Instafriends. The more your Instafriends feel their opinion matters, the more likely they will be to continually interact with your stories.
In this example, my Instafriends have an opportunity to influence me on my next photo, based on their voting. I will not use it every time, but it is a good and fun way to interact. If the voting favours BW, my next photo will most likely be in BW. If I have an insight that my Instafriends would prefer to see more BW photos, then they will get a result for actually participating in voting.
In my case:
· The research is: What kind of photo will people want to see?
· The result is: Next photo will be in that style, because their opinion matters.
· The value is: A mutual feeling of being heard and positive interaction.
After that, I would go back to my original style of photos or what I think is cool.
But imagine how many other ways this could be used. Here are some examples:
· If you’re a private Instagrammer – You have the option of letting your fellow friends take part in fun and more serious decisions from what kind of coffee to maybe a new car.
· If you’re a fashion blogger – then you can give your followers a fun choice of maybe what kind of dress or jacket you should wear the next day.
· If you’re having a giveaway – maybe the choice of the giveaway prize can be voted on.
· If you’re business to consumer (e.g., a telephone company.) - Which phone is your audience most looking forward to seeing? Then the company has a minor insight into which phone brand their Instagram audience most want to see offered, pictures or information from.
· Who should win. If you have two finalists and let the audience decide who should win. Then you’ll also give the finalist an incentive to spread the word.
· Here there are endless possibilities for all of them. It’s all about being creative.
The list could go on with ease. But nevertheless, I really think it’s a great new feature as you might have guessed. This is a great tool for interacting and getting to know your Instafriends, followers or audience better. So why not use it sometime.
Remember that you still can combine it with location and hashtags.
By the way – the voting ended with that picture and colours won. So, the photo was uploaded to my gallery the next day in colours.
Let me know other ways to use this feature in comments and you’re always welcome to follow me on Instagram: alantherock